Help0 Help0

It's all 'round pretty good. I really like the synths you used for the melody, and I thought it was a pretty cool break beat.

Still, I think the master volume's too high, and your drums could use a bit less compression. I'd also like to hear the bass a bit more clearly (maybe tweak its volume up a tad and then lower the master?).

So, all around, I'd say great riff/melody and well-looped. It's a really seamless transition. Just fix the EQ a bit, and I'd give it an easy 5.

Adventurous intro Adventurous intro

It's a bird! It's a plane! No wait, it's 0:37 seconds of wicked adventure intro!

Dude, purely as an intro, that was [several expletives deleted]ing phenomenal. Flawless levels across the board, great melody, and some really awesome staccato strings. Just great.

Just too bad it was over faster than... a speeding bullet

CaptinEpic responds:

Thank you very much for the kind words T-Rebel. I might possibly add on to this one.

Trials of Perseverance Trials of Perseverance

The piano intro was great, but those strings sound bit too loud, making it really hard to hear. Also, the strings somehow sound a bit too crisp, unrealistically so. I think I'd dial the volume and the attack back on those a little bit (assuming they're a synth and not sampled). Also the beat was a bit odd -- especially for a classical piece. I think I'd take it out altogether, or replace it with timpani maybe?

I really liked the melody you put together. And aside from the beat I thought everything was more-or-less on point. It does need some EQ work, though -- first to tone back the strings, and second to bring the piano out a bit more.

AzuMulu responds:

Thanks for the review! About the beat, I really don't have a clue how to properly use timpani. And I'm unfamiliar with making beats in 3/4 time in general. Do you know any where that talks about using timpani and percussion in 3/4? It'd be very helpful, thanks :)

Sunset Sunset

So I'm generally not a fan of either kick-clap beat or trance-ish music. But frankly you produced a wicked good track right here, so you still got my 5's. The only "complaint" I could muster is I wasn't a fan of the kick you picked, but that's just personal taste. Outside of that, I think you did a great job of the transitions, which really kept the lead feeling fresh every time it came back in. I also really liked how you subtly built up the beat in that last section. It's the little details that make a good track great. And this, even if it's not my taste, was a great track.

ZimdorGD responds:

I sehow this really isn't ur music style, but u still reviews and rated all stars. I love seeing these reviews because it motivates to make more :)

Taranaki Taranaki

I think your 2 and 4 count hits are clipping. You should bring the volume to come down a bit on those. Loved the bass, and the guitar melodies. Also a very cool intro. Honestly, this felt more like smooth jazz to me than hip hop at times, but either way I gotta say I liked it. And that last section that went all out Radiohead Kid A was pretty impressive too. So basically my only qualms are about the beat. First, that it was a bit too minimalist for the rest of the instrumentation, and second that I think your 2-4 is a bit loud. Otherwise this might be one of the better tracks I've heard on here.

phosphorusprocedure responds:

Thanks for the review! I definitely agree with you about the drums. I was in the process of moving files over from one computer to another, so I didn't have all my drum samples on me at the time I put this track together, so I did a beatbox and chopped it up so it'd go rhythmically, but it doesn't really have enough oomph to carry the track. And rooting out the source of the clipping was also a bit of a pain. I thought it was the bassline and turned that way down, but I guess it could be the snares too...

Glad you dug the reverse part. I took the chord progression and melody in FL Studio, used Horizontal Flip on them, and played that with my guitar so when I'd reverse it, it would have the same progression as in the rest of the track, except backwards. It took some time to line up the pieces correctly, but I think it sounds purty cool.

Again, thanks for the review!

Flower Fields ( Remix 2012) Flower Fields ( Remix 2012)

Pretty awesome intro, but that guitar synth comes in so loud and so abruptly I think I'd tone that back a bit. Especially after the subtle and quiet intro, I found it a bit jarring. Also, I think I'd add a bit more complete rhythm section; I felt like I couldn't tell whether you were going for a 1-3 or a 2-4. Personally, I would have liked a consistent hit on the 2 and 4 counts, but I mean it is ambient music so take it as a matter of personal taste if you like. Great work all 'round if you ask me. I'd like to see a longer version with a few more variations in the guitar's melody, if you're still working on it.

Midnight Paradise Midnight Paradise

I think you could have flat out cut the first 15 seconds of this track. Otherwise, I thought it was great. Lots of variety in the melody and (even though I hate kick-clap beats) I thought you did enough to vary the beat that I didn't even mind the simple 1-3 all the way through. Also a really nice fade into super compression at 2:30. I think though, that after that section, when you went back to the chorus you should have brought in some open hats or crashes on the 1-3, instead of just a closed hat. Makes for a more grandiose kind of outro, you know?

djhoneyb responds:

Thank you for detailed review, i really appreciate it :D

L.A. Noire - Hip Hop Idea #4 L.A. Noire - Hip Hop Idea #4

I think the way you treated the pads as kind of a sample to keep cutting out was awesome. Also loved that bugle you brought in around 1:40. Great choice of lead, and really made this feel like something out of a film noir. So, definitely you hit the mark in that sense. The only (minor) qualm I had with the track was that it kind of felt like I was only ever getting snippets of some longer sampled verses, and it would have been cool to hear them out either in a break or at the intro. You know, like play it through once at the intro, then go into the cutting-out. But anyway, I think that's just my taste. All 'round awesome track, man.

Kmax responds:

Thanks for the review. In regards tot he intro, I really, really wanted to do that, but felt it would make the intro too long.

I just wanted the listener to jump right in with the chill and if they were really interested, to go listen to the original, it's amazing.

The Romanov Improv The Romanov Improv

I mean not much happened here, besides picking while holding a power chord. Like, ONE power chord.

SpeedBreaker SpeedBreaker

Awesome track. I would suggest one thing, though: instead of using just 2 leads throughout, I would split the lead into different synths for the various melodies you used, and layer them a bit more. The mastering is, well, masterful, and the beat you used was pretty damn flawless (though I felt like the hats were a bit over-used, but that's maybe just my taste). I'd also consider adding a big crash of sorts at the end of sections, where you execute otherwise flawless build-ups (for example at 0:19).

Djjaner responds: